Dcycle Blog

Solving The document could not be autosaved. The file name is invalid. on macOS

August 27, 2020

I have the latest version of OmniOutliner and macOS 10.15.6.

I have been using a file called daily3.oo3 (an OmniOutliner file) for several years to track my daily to-do list with no issues. This morning the file has started to refuse to save, giving me the message:

“The document could not be autosaved. The file name is invalid.”

I restarted my computer, resaved the file elsewhere, even used Disk First Aid to fix my entire disk, but nothing worked.

This is a follow-up to the post ‘Error: “The document could not be autosaved. The file name is invalid.”’, Posted on Mar 19, 2014 8:39 AM, at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6011576.

Here is the solution I found. The daily3.oo3 file is actually a folder, and that folder contains images which were added to the daily3.oo3 file, including Screenshots such as Screen_Shot_2020-01-10_at_1.22.07_PM, etc.

However, there seems to have been a glitch whereby some files were renamed in such a way that the included screenshots have invalid names.

$ cd /Users/albert/Documents/backup/critical2/daily3.oo3
$ ls
total 2328
drwxr-xr-x@ 7 albert  staff   224B 27 Aug 12:18 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 4 albert  staff   128B 27 Aug 12:20 ..
-rw-r--r--@ 1 albert  staff    41K 21 Oct  2019 Screen_Shot_2019-10-21_at_11.51.52_AM.png_1_1.jpg
-rw-r--r--@ 1 albert  staff    94K 10 Jan  2020 Screen_Shot_2020-01-10_at_1.22.07_PM_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1.png
-rw-r--r--@ 1 albert  staff   356K  8 May 15:18 Screen_Shot_2020-05-08_at_3.18.22_PM_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_2_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1.png
-rw-r--r--@ 1 albert  staff   405K 25 Jun 22:24 Screen_Shot_2020-06-25_at_10.24.35_PM_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1.png
-rw-r--r--@ 1 albert  staff   257K 27 Aug 12:18 contents.xml

I have no idea why the screenshots were renamed this way. I simply quit OmniOutliner, backed up and then removed those screenshot files, then reopened the file and all was good (except the screenshots which no longer are present).